Thursday, July 2, 2009

Transformers

I don't do movie reviews, but I wanted to comment on the new Transformers movie.

I liked it. A lot. I liked the first one a lot, too. Mainly, it's Peter Cullen's voice.

Tangent about Peter Cullen:

No one knows who Peter Cullen is except for obsessed Optimus Primers like me. Peter Cullen does lots of voices: Eeyore, Gritty from Gummi Bears, Monterey Jack from Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers, Zander from G.I. Joe, K.A.R.R. from Knight Rider, and of course Optimus Prime (and even Ironhide in at least one movie release). Check him out: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0191520/

Peter Cullen has the world's best voice. I could listen to it all day. In surround sound. ... It's a good thing I don't know him personally. Cause he'd get really tired of my phone calls: "Peter! Hey. It's Tamra again. Could you say "Autobots, Roll Out!"? Or how about, "They deserve to choose for themselves."? Please?!! Please, please, please!!" It'd be pathetic.

End of Tangent about Peter Cullen.

But, aside from the sexiness of Cullen's voice, there's something just REALLY COOL about transforming robots battling to the death. And Transformers 2 has something that the first Transformers didn't have: a sustainable plot line. Okay, it's not really plausible, cause it's, you know, a Transformers movie. But it's follow-able.

A few things to know, though, about this plot line:

1 - You will have to dismiss all the mythology from Transformers 1. Not hard to do, since it made little sense anyway.

2 - A lot of the plot is explained away and simplified by a really stupid government agent who says something like this: "There are 3 Top Secret things that the bad guys should never find out about, and I will list them all in the next minute and a half. ... Let's just hope they're not listening to this communication, or else we're in big trouble."

I can't recommend the movie without reservations, though. There's more cussing than in number 1. The humor is a little stupider, a little more crass. There's a temptress who is VERY aggressive and who is always wearing very skimpy clothing. It's not horrible, all told, but I wouldn't take my teenagers to see it, if I had teenagers.

No comments:

Post a Comment