Friday, September 25, 2009

What Love is Now

"Love changes, and in change is true." - Wendell Berry

Right now love is:

Rob calling to say he'll be late and me saying, in all honesty, "It's okay. Take the time you need."

Ironing Rob's shirts at 10:00 p.m. while upstairs Rob types away at his computer, trying to get things together for his class.

Reading a book on massage.

Telling Rob he needs to play with his kids, just to try to get him to relax a little.

Rob telling me he appreciates all the extra things I'm taking on so that he can focus.

Going to bed, feeling eager, and looking over at Rob who looks like he's about to cry because he's so worn out. Telling him it's okay and going to sleep in his arms.

Not worrying about formal date nights, cause I know right now it'd just be too much for our family.

...
At other points in my life, most of these things would have been completely unacceptable. They wouldn't have said love at all. But right now they do. It's a quiet, soft kind of love, and it's alright. It adds depth to the chaotic, passionate love that tends to be my favorite kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment