Monday, March 8, 2010

Sites of Cincinnati #2

Today we're focusing on something that I love, love, love about Cincinnati:

Our Public Library System

Lame?  You'd think that if you have a lame library system in your own town.  But our libraries rock the house!  In Hennen's American Public Library Rankings, The Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County ranked in the top 10 (of cities with a population of 500k and up) from the years 2003 - 2006 (the last year listed on-line).  Our library tells us that for the last 2 years we've been in the top 5, and some years our circulation is the very top in the nation.  I mean, seriously, we're besting cities twice our size?  Where are you New York City?

Not that I care about the stats, cause it's really not all about them.  I mean, I can't blame my library for being proud of their ranking, but the library in the number 11 spot will tell you that it just doesn't matter.  I tend to lean more towards the "it just doesn't matter" side, but rankings or no, our library system is awesome.

Our library has kickin' programs, excellent on-line accessibility, friendly workers, and a ton of locations.  Within a 5-minute drive of my house, there are 2 libraries.  If I want to extend that to a 10-minute drive, there are 4 libraries (that I know of).

Our system also has a ton of books.  I get really, really annoyed if I want a book and the library doesn't have it.  Since moving to Cincinnati, I've been able to only buy the books I want to own, instead of the books I want to read (there's a huge difference).  This has helped my budget, and it makes me happier with my library, and with the books I actually purchase.

So, while I may not take you to a library on your visit to Cincinnati, it still ranks up there as One of The Coolest Things about Cincinnati, and that's worthy of a spot on Sites of Cincinnati.

1 comment:

  1. You're not kidding about that. I didn't realize how great the Cincinnati library system was until we moved here. THEY STINK in NC. I'm sure glad we took advantage of them while we were there.

    ReplyDelete