Monday, December 12, 2011

I'm Dreaming of ...

Nothing.

Christmas is a weird time of year for me.  I mean, I like it, but sometimes I feel very ... unChristmas-y.  Holidays aren't really my thing. 

We do hang up stockings and put up the tree and nativity.  And we read Christmas stories every night in December.  And we listen to Christmas music off and on.  And there's plenty of hot chocolate.  And family.  And wonderfulness.

But I don't spend a lot of time Planning Out Perfectness for the kids.  I don't worry too much about memories they will or won't have.  I don't try to think of the perfect foods or the perfect music or any of that.

I remember last year some time Elijah looked at me and said, "Mom, why do you hate Christmas?"  (This makes me laugh, so you know.)  I told him that I didn't hate Christmas.  Miciah chimed in, too.  "Then why don't you let us put up the Christmas tree until right before Christmas?"  Turns out they had a list of things that, to them, meant that I hated Christmas.

So let's be clear.  I don't hate Christmas.  What I hate is the pressure everyone feels to make Christmas Perfect or Magical or Amazing or whatever.  I reject that part of Christmas.  Why do things HAVE to be done on a specific day?  Why do I HAVE to make those cookies?

And honestly, I like dreaming of nothing.  I like keeping an open mind to what Christmas can mean for me and my family this year. 

Last year we went to Krohn's Conservatory on Christmas Eve day.  We'd never done that before, and it was great.  I bought a poinsettia and realized that I can't live without a poinsettia during the long winter months. Then, for Christmas Eve dinner we were lazy and did fish and rice and homemade bread and during the dinner realized that it was a great way to talk to the kids about the baby Jesus who grew up and performed a few miracles involving fish and bread.  ...  We wouldn't have had any of those experiences if we had been focused on making Christmas Perfect. 

So this year I hope that your Christmas isn't always 100% Perfect.  That's my wish for you.

(Though, if it could be worked out, I'd prefer a little snow.) 

1 comment:

  1. Maybe next year you could have your kids make a list of things they "think" are needful in order to celebrate Christmas. Then have them do them. When it is all said and done, you can compare and contrast. Perhaps you might even decide that you like having whatever it is they think they need.

    ReplyDelete