Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Brothers and Sisters

I have a really good friend named Tim that has made me re-think life. Not just THIS life, but life before we came to earth and the afterlife, too.

Cause Tim and I have a cosmic connection that I can't explain. He and I have known each other for a very, very long time. Don't ask me how I know, I just know. I know it like I know that I exist.

I wish there were more people that I felt connected in this way. I mean, I'm not even sure that I knew Rob before this life. I hope I did. I can imagine that I did. But do I KNOW that I did? Nope. I bet I knew at least some of my siblings, cause I can't imagine existing without them. I know that I knew my parents, cause my patriarchal blessing says that I chose them. So at least I knew OF them. And I'd like to think that I knew some of my good friends, since we click so well that it seems very plausible that I did. ...

I have a pretty short list of people that I KNOW I knew before this life. In fact, the only 2 people on this list: Miciah and Tim. And they're both the same, in this respect: I don't know how I know that I knew them, but I have no doubts about it. None.

But the fact that I knew Tim makes little sense to me. I mean, he's a random person to have known before this life. Our life stories have nothing in common, and our lives seem to have intersected at complete random. One of those, "What are the chances?" type of things.

And yet, he is like a brother to me. Which has made me think about this whole thing. Tim feels like a long lost brother: someone who should have been part of my life all along, and someone who will always be a part of me, no matter what. Like I could insert him as one of my brothers and that would be completely natural.

Except I think my family would eat him alive. I don't think he'd particularly like some of my family members, and I don't think they'd like him much, either. So maybe the whole pre-earth-life choosing of siblings went something like this:

The Choosing of Brothers and Sisters, A Short Sort-of Play

Imagine me milling around with a small group of people.
Mel, my father and the leader of the group, continues speaking:

"Okay, everyone. Next up for the vote is Charles. Everyone close your eyes and raise your hand if you want to vote for Charles as one of the siblings. ... I'm still counting. ... Keep your eyes closed, please. ... Okay, you can open your eyes."

We all are looking expectantly at Mel to hear the results.

"Your final results are as follows: Budge got the most votes, so he's the oldest sibling. Next is Ruben. So that gives us 6 more slots to fill. It was all pretty close for the next 6 slots. Lori, Tamra, Keith, Justin, Chad, and John? Looks like you guys made it."

We start congregating as the newly formed group of siblings, congratulating each other and talking noisily. Mel touches his ear as if listening and then says:

"Hold on. Hold on. My superior has just informed me that there's a change here. John, you're destined to be a part of another family group, sorry. Don't worry, some day you'll be really good friends with Keith, and we'll count you as family anyway. Nothing lost, really. This leaves us with one more slot to fill."

Mel looks back over the list and touches his earpiece again. Speaking to his superior:

"Really? Are you sure? But the only one who voted for him is himself! Okay. I'll tell them."

Mel clears his throat and addresses the group:

"Looks like Collin is one of the siblings, too."

The group groans as one.

"Hey, I don't make these decisions, guys, so don't get mad at me. Seems he's destined to join our family, and I'm sure we'll all learn to love him over time. As for the rest of the group: Tim, Melissa, Charles, Katherine, and George. Sorry that you didn't make the cut, but we love you anyway. Everyone getting used to the group? Good. Reconvene here in 30 years to start the first send off. Dismissed."

As I'm leaving I walk next to Tim and say:

"You know I voted for you, man."

No comments:

Post a Comment