Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Inalienable Rights

Not sure how I feel about these inalienable rights of ours. The ones that our country was founded on. You know them:

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

Not sure that's what we're still founded upon. From the looks of current events, we only like to give people liberty to pursue a form of happiness that conforms to our expectations of what that life would look like. "Yes, you are free to pursue a life of happiness. So long as it's what I tell you happiness is."

At any rate, I'm not sure that "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" is how I would say it, if I were making up inalienable rights for myself. It's just not meaningful enough for me, personally (for our country it's great. Would I like the U.S. to stay free from tyrannical rule? Yes. Hurray for liberty!). So I thought of what I am pursuing for myself and came up with this alternative:

"Peace, love, and a sliver of sanity."

And that's what I'm pursuing.

No comments:

Post a Comment