Thursday, June 18, 2009

Eagles

I was driving to the library today and got in a left-hand turn lane behind a black SUV. It had a window sticker--you know, the kind that has a soccer ball with the number 12 in the middle and "Katie" written around the edge. This window sticker was for a High School, I assume. The mascot was an eagle (an elegant choice for a mascot) sort of cartoonized, looking half fierce, and half regal. As fierce and regal as a cartoonized eagle can be.

But what got me was the juxtaposition of this eagle and the name of the high school: Our Lady of Grace. It didn't say Our Lady of Grace High School. Just: Our Lady of Grace.

Our Lady of Grace ... Eagles!
laid out in a circle around the cartoon eagle.

I started trying to think of the feelings that "Our Lady of Grace" brought to mind: peace, holiness, respect, reverence.
And then Eagles!

It just didn't work for me. I wish I'd had a camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment