Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Philosophy and the Great Questions

I just read Eternal Man by Truman G. Madsen, and it was brilliant.  He does a good job of answering the philosophical theological questions that have been asked through the ages.  It turns out a lot of those questions are answered by Joseph Smith's doctrine of eternal intelligences.  We will exist forever because we always have.  Intelligence can't be destroyed.

And I like the doctrine, but I don't see how it answers all questions.  It just raises new ones, and those new ones are harder and deeper and more confusing.

For instance, if God didn't create us, he just organized us, and we were intelligences all along, then who or what DID create us? 

And, the question that I will always have, since in Mormon theology God was once a man, then who created God?  Who is God's God?

So I like that the doctrine of the pre-existence answers some of philosophy and theology's toughest questions.  But what to do about the questions that it raises?

I ignore them, usually.  I bring them out when I'm bored and want something else to think about.  These questions don't actually need an answer in this life.  The answers that we have, the basic and essential ones, are all I need worry about.

Once, years back, I had a vision of eternity that I couldn't hold on to or else my head would explode.  I imagined an interconnectedness that extended in all dimensions, like spokes of a wagon wheel that connected to new wagon wheels at every intersection.  I saw 1 wagon wheel and then, where the spokes should have ended in a circle, 8 more wagon wheels, and then the vision zoomed out and out and then! ... and then I had to shut it down because I couldn't compute it.  Why is eternity, a time without time, a space without beginning or end, so hard for us to comprehend?

The questions of eternity will largely have to wait until I'm past this life.  I understand that.  But I sure wouldn't mind being able to understand them better now!

No comments:

Post a Comment